Companies innovate by applying creative and operational capabilities to challenges, problems and opportunities in the outside world. One crucial capability for any company aiming to innovate is the potential of its people. Fortunately, reliable tools exist make this creative potential measurable and therefore easier to manage. Climate is also critical to innovation effectiveness: so organisational culture is also something to assess.
Validated tools assess (at individual, team and unit level) people’s behaviours, attitudes and preferences as they practically impact on innovation work. This provides a baseline around which better systems, processes, hiring or training can be put in place. Here's a summary of our favourites.
- Measures individual problem-solving style preferences • Individual assessments enable team profiles
- Evaluates four areas: clarification, ideation, development, implementation
- Used to: Balance team thinking diversity, improve team innovative output
Kirton Adaptor-Innovator Inventory® (KAI)
- Measures creative thinking style preference
- Puts individuals on Adaptor to Innovator scale
- Used to: optimise personal performance in interpersonal situations to decrease conflict and increase the effectiveness of creative thinking
- Assesses individual or group motivations and behaviors
- Can also capture suppliers’ and customers’ perspectives
- Uncovers hidden barriers to organisational creativity and innovation, and expresses them in authentic terms
- Used to: Improve understanding of cultural dynamics, provide a compelling mandate for change
The Hofstede Model© Culture X-Ray
- Validated form of culutral mapping, applies across all nations and industries
- Characterises the culture of business units & entire organisations, however complex or distributed
- Used to: Uncover cultural factors affecting your innovation capabilities, even when hidden from view
As it happens, KILN principals can deliver most or all of these tools to companies. For more information, please get in touch.